*Generally only one answer is correct
*You can often eliminate one or two of the choices immediately
*Read the question carefully, think logically and use your number sense. Only answer what they ask for
*Don't try to out think the question or consider things that are not a part
of the question (word problems)
*If you get stuck on a problem and you have extra time, you can try all choices to see what works
1. Use number sense to save time and avoid doing unnecessary work.
<b>e.g. Compute 57.69 + (19.21 x 2) x 0</b>
-notice the product is zero (because anything multiplied by zero equals zero)
2. Estimate when you can. It will often help you get to the answer quickly without a lot of scratch work.
<b>e.g. 2,345 x 756 =</b>
- round these numbers to make quick calculations and use number sense to get the correct answer
3. Eliminate obviously incorrect choices.
<b>e.g 37 x 10 = </b>
a. 37,000 b. 3,700 c. 370 d. 370,000
-there is no way A, B and D could be correct, they are two large to be possible products of 37 x 10
4. Try the easier choices first.